Men's Tennis Update: Harvard Comes Back to Down Golden Gophers 4-3
Yesterday, the Crimson Netters faced a large partisan crowd and felt the intensity of a Big Ten match. The team was undaunted and played with great gusto in the back- and-forth affair. The Gophers surprised the Crimson by jumping out to the doubles point with wins at #1 and #3 doubles. Nicky Hu and Brian Yeung earned the lone victory at #2 doubles. In singles, Harvard would now have to win 4 singles to take the match. Denis Nguyen notched the first point at #1 singles with an impressive win over Leondro Toledo from Germany. Brian Yeung and Alex Steinroeder would add points at #4 and #5 respectively to bring to even at 3-all. That left freshmen Andrew Ball on court against Jeremy Lynn of the Gophers for all the marbles. Andrew won the first by a good margin but got down 5-1 in the second before going on a tear to level the match at 5-5. It would go into a see-saw tiebreaker with the Menlo grad prevailing 11-9 in front of both screaming teams. Andrew saved several set points along the way and earned the first big win in his Harvard career. After a good night sleep, the Crimson will square off against the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes, who also defeated the Gophers 4-3 on Friday.
No. 25 Harvard 4, No. 39 Minnesota 3
Saturday, February 8, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center • Minneapolis, Minn.
1. No. 44 Denis Nguyen (HARV) def. Leandro Toledo (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. No. 81 Shaun Chaudhuri (HARV) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Sebastian Beltrame (HARV) 6-3, 6-5 (5)
4. Brian Yeung (HARV) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-3, 6-5 (2)
5. Alex Steinroeder (HARV) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-3, 6-5 (4)
6. Andrew Ball (HARV) def. Jeremy Lynn (MINN) 6-3, 6-5 (9)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 4, 5, 3, 6
1. No. 47 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. No. 17 Denis Nguyen/Casey MacMaster (HARV) 6-4
2. No. 48 Brian Yeung/Nicky Hu (HARV) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) 6-3
3. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Conor Haughey/Kelvin Lam (HARV) 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2